Resolution #1: The Great American Apparel Fast
In July, I interviewed the author of Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion. (It's a great, eye-opening book and is currently my favorite topic of conversation. I'm dying for someone else to read it so that we can discuss!) My editor at Radish was able to get me a copy of the book and set up the interview. I phoned the author, Elizabeth Cline, from my office in Iowa, though I proposed meeting her for coffee while we were in New York. Maybe I sounded a little too enthusiastic and her publisher decided a safe distance was in order. At any rate, I wrote about our interview as well as this whole clothing fast for the September issue of Radish. Rather than writing about it a ton here, I'll wait until next month and share the article. What I will say is that the clothing fast and resulting research is slowly changing my consumer life and re-defining my style.
Over the last month I bought a pair of sandals, a purchase I thought long and hard about. I guess I broke the fast (purchase #7 for the year), but I really don't feel too bad about it because it was a very thoughtful purchase. They are brown leather sandals that I think I'll be able to wear for years. In July, I also interviewed, photographed and wrote about a local clothing and shoe boutique that's pretty fantastic. I can tell you that it required tremendous strength not to spend my paycheck at The Ruby Slipper. Cline writes that on average, Americans purchase 64 new items of clothing each year. I'm curious, do you think this is true for you?
This article is interesting also. Click here for further reading about the spirit of simplicity and your mental health.In July, I interviewed the author of Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion. (It's a great, eye-opening book and is currently my favorite topic of conversation. I'm dying for someone else to read it so that we can discuss!) My editor at Radish was able to get me a copy of the book and set up the interview. I phoned the author, Elizabeth Cline, from my office in Iowa, though I proposed meeting her for coffee while we were in New York. Maybe I sounded a little too enthusiastic and her publisher decided a safe distance was in order. At any rate, I wrote about our interview as well as this whole clothing fast for the September issue of Radish. Rather than writing about it a ton here, I'll wait until next month and share the article. What I will say is that the clothing fast and resulting research is slowly changing my consumer life and re-defining my style.
Over the last month I bought a pair of sandals, a purchase I thought long and hard about. I guess I broke the fast (purchase #7 for the year), but I really don't feel too bad about it because it was a very thoughtful purchase. They are brown leather sandals that I think I'll be able to wear for years. In July, I also interviewed, photographed and wrote about a local clothing and shoe boutique that's pretty fantastic. I can tell you that it required tremendous strength not to spend my paycheck at The Ruby Slipper. Cline writes that on average, Americans purchase 64 new items of clothing each year. I'm curious, do you think this is true for you?
![]() |
| A pair of shoes at The Ruby Slipper. |
Resolution #2: Live and Let Live
I'm glad this is still rattling around in my mind 8 months into the year. These are valuable words and it's good to remind myself of them every once in awhile. Live and let live. There is such peace and acceptance in that phrase.


Those shoes are fantastic and I seriously cannot wait for coffee tomorrow! :)
ReplyDelete