8/15/12

Happy Birthday, Julia!

Julia Child would have been 100 today, and to me, that is a sound reason to spend some time in the kitchen.  This afternoon, I started prepping for a berry clafoutis (a French dessert where fruit is cooked a top a buttery batter), a recipe that I've tried once or twice before from Mastering the Art of French Cooking.  I was in the mood for something chocolate-y, but berries are just so beautiful right now that I thought the combination of blackberries, blueberries and strawberries already in my fridge might be just right for tonight.  Eli helped me finish preparing it after school.


What I love most about the nearly larger-than-life character of Julia Child is her amazing capacity for reinvention.  Did you know that she didn't enroll in Le Cordon Bleu until she was 37?  She was in her late forties when she was published for the first time!  I find this incredibly inspiring.  She was a secretary, a spy, and an overall huge personality with such a joy and excitement about simply being alive.



When I was in grad school, I wrote a poem inspired by Julia.  Jake, Oliver and I spent some time in Washington D.C. just before Oliver turned two.  One of the major thrills for me was seeing Julia's kitchen recreated at the Smithsonian.  Here's the poem, for fun:

The Smithsonian

(The National Museum of American History, July 2005)

All morning clusters of people gather outside smooth glass, boisterously snapping photos of Julia Child’s kitchen. Thick copper pots hang from metal bakers’ racks, a long line of bread knives rests sharpened on a silky chopping block; a cheerful, tartan dishtowel, bright and familiar, lingers on the cool steel oven door, ready for the heat of fresh moussaka or the oozing syrup of hot apple tart. A pair of red plates sit on a small table, empty and flirtatious, while terracotta urns are packed with culinary tools that once whisked, leveled, minced in her hands. Into the late afternoon, relics stare back at eager observers; enchanted, exultant utensils entreat, “Mangez, mes amis!” Endless, ebullient waves of people pass, snap photos, inhale acutely, and exit chewing on the impulse of affection and food, as plastic bananas languish bright yellow in a glass fruit bowl, the kitchen clock eternally stuck at noon.

3 comments:

  1. The Sun Times had a special pull-out today about Julia. I'm planning to (finally!) watch Julie & Julia tonight in honor of her birthday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cake looks delicious - is it egg and dairy free?? I was wondering how I could modify the recipe your friend Sarah put in her article (and if it would taste decent).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I love you because you celebrated her birthday and perhaps even more so because you shared your yummy creation with me. Poor Jared, I ate most of his half.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! What's on your mind?