3/1/12

Resolutions Check-In

It's March: How did I do?

Resolution #1: Live and Let Live (Learn to be at peace with my decisions as well as the decisions of others.)

It's noon and I am sitting in the atrium of Central High School. I have just dropped Sintayehu off with our babysitter, Cassidy, who is a student here. Cassidy asked my permission to welcome Sintayehu as a guest in her child development class. Sinta typically sleeps (solidly -- she is a rockstar sleeper) from noon until 2:30 when I wake her up to collect the boys from school. But because I really like Cassidy and I really like to be helpful, today I let Sintayehu go to the child development class and skip her nap.

I have second-guessed this choice all week. I have gone back and forth and back and forth about this decision. Did I just deprive Sinta of her nap because of my intense desire to please people? Or is this break of routine not a big deal at all and simply an example of how sometimes we do inconvenient things for people we think a good deal of?

Live and let live. The fact that I'm stewing about this (even as I sit and type this) is proof that I am finding this resolution to be really, really tricky. This month I found that it's been easier to let others off the hook (so to speak) for their decisions -- even when I disagree or perhaps wish things were different -- than it is to live in peace with mine.

Resolution #2: The Great American Apparel Diet (No buying clothes or items for my home.)

This resolution wasn't actually too difficult this month. I think I'm starting to realize the amount of TIME I save by not shopping/browsing for clothes or home items and I'm starting to appreciate the amount of MONEY I save by restricting purchases. I have seen the light! Believe it or not, I have not been to Hobby Lobby OR a thrift store all year! I like "shopping" my closet and am pretty sure I still look decent when leave the house. (Well, most days I think this is true--there are always exceptions. I may or may not be in public wearing gym clothes at this exact moment.)

Though I can't dwell on this, I have to tell you that if I were buying clothes, I'd buy these. These were all at Target last time I went. It was hard, very hard, to look away. Seriously. Someone should buy these! So cute.
Jason Wu for Target® Sleeveless Pleated Shift Dress in Navy Dots with Black BeltWomens Mossimo Supply Co. Oki Laceless Canvas Flat - Assorted Colors.Opens in a new windowMossimo Supply Co. Juniors Skinny Denim - Assorted ColorsJason Wu for Target® Jersey Dress in Red/Navy Stripes

3 comments:

  1. That is so funny...my mom and I looked at that blue and red dress and my mom said she tried it on and it showed EVERYTHING...too thin for many body types who have some things that need hiding! :) You however would likely look adorable in it! And the shoes! I LOVED those shoes too...and soooo many colors to choose from. I would like one pair in several of the colors! You're doing great, Leslie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup... LOVED that red dress number but as Jennie said... WAY too thin a fabric for this old gal...ugh! It was cute on, the designer I have read about too so was SO excited to see one to try on...maybe next time I'll find the perfect look!! ;] Target rocks!! :] Glad you are sticking to your guns about cutting out shopping so much... I need to do that too... but I LOVE color, design, texture and not just clothes... housewares, paper, fabric and "things"... it is my passion!! It's a problem at times. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my dear friend, you have successfully beaten me in this challenge. I may have caved and bought a few things this past weekend. Hey, I made it to March! Good for you for continuing to resist the urge. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! What's on your mind?