It's the last day in January and I'm still serious about sticking to my New Year's Resolutions. Here's how I did one month in:
Resolution #1: Live and let live. (Both in response to myself and others.)
In response to others: This is really hard. There have been too many times over the last month in which I have caught myself being disappointed by other people and having to remind myself of this resolution. Unfortunately, I usually don't think about the resolution until I stew for awhile. Ick. It really has shown me how ugly I can be. HOWEVER, having this resolution in place has been extremely helpful. Once I analyze my feelings and remember the maxim (live and let live), I am able to crawl out of my stupor. So that's good. By the end of the year, I'm hoping it won't take as long for me to crawl out and that the response will be automatic. At this rate, it will most certainly take 12 months, which I suppose is okay. (I'm baring my soul here...this feels very raw!)
In response to myself: Epic fail. I still make decisions and then worry about whether or not I'm pleasing everyone around me. I don't think I realized what a pleaser I have become (always been?)! It's at least on my radar so that I am able to recognize these feelings. However, I still struggle to change my perspective for a happier, freer outlook and existence.
Resolution #2: The Great American Apparal Diet (aka no more buying clothes!)
Success! This may be the best resolution ever! I have felt like I have managed acceptable dress every single day for the last month and haven't been tempted to buy anything new. Well, there was one occasion in which I was mightily tempted. I had a Radish photo shoot and was told that I might be on the cover. Eek! I stressed all afternoon and pulled out nearly every article of clothing from my closet to try on in different combinations. I even went to the mall searching for inspiration. (Not to buy anything, just for inspiration.) However, I prevailed. I wore a dress with a belt, a sweater, leggings and flats and thought it looked just fine. (It was a combination I had never tried before and probably wouldn't have had I simply purchased something new.) One exception: I did buy a pair of $10 fashion glasses. I had had a pair before the new year but they broke, so I replaced them. (It was for naught. We did a photo shoot, but it will not be on the cover. Was it my outfit?)
I have also extended this resolution to home items. It's wonderful because I spend less time thinking and shopping online (and at the thrift stores) for the perfect budget-friendly ______. What we have is fine; there is no need to consume more. We don't really need a new front door or a new light fixture in the living room. Good grief, what we have is fine...(That was a taste of my inner monologue.)
I'm looking forward to a similar February in the realm of "unconsumerism". However, I foresee some trouble in March. We're heading to Chicago for a few days and will be staying near one of my favorite boutiques...not to mention just a train away from an H&M. Also, my cousin is getting married and I'm not sure what I'll wear. One day at a time...
Resolution #1: Live and let live. (Both in response to myself and others.)
In response to others: This is really hard. There have been too many times over the last month in which I have caught myself being disappointed by other people and having to remind myself of this resolution. Unfortunately, I usually don't think about the resolution until I stew for awhile. Ick. It really has shown me how ugly I can be. HOWEVER, having this resolution in place has been extremely helpful. Once I analyze my feelings and remember the maxim (live and let live), I am able to crawl out of my stupor. So that's good. By the end of the year, I'm hoping it won't take as long for me to crawl out and that the response will be automatic. At this rate, it will most certainly take 12 months, which I suppose is okay. (I'm baring my soul here...this feels very raw!)
In response to myself: Epic fail. I still make decisions and then worry about whether or not I'm pleasing everyone around me. I don't think I realized what a pleaser I have become (always been?)! It's at least on my radar so that I am able to recognize these feelings. However, I still struggle to change my perspective for a happier, freer outlook and existence.
Resolution #2: The Great American Apparal Diet (aka no more buying clothes!)
Success! This may be the best resolution ever! I have felt like I have managed acceptable dress every single day for the last month and haven't been tempted to buy anything new. Well, there was one occasion in which I was mightily tempted. I had a Radish photo shoot and was told that I might be on the cover. Eek! I stressed all afternoon and pulled out nearly every article of clothing from my closet to try on in different combinations. I even went to the mall searching for inspiration. (Not to buy anything, just for inspiration.) However, I prevailed. I wore a dress with a belt, a sweater, leggings and flats and thought it looked just fine. (It was a combination I had never tried before and probably wouldn't have had I simply purchased something new.) One exception: I did buy a pair of $10 fashion glasses. I had had a pair before the new year but they broke, so I replaced them. (It was for naught. We did a photo shoot, but it will not be on the cover. Was it my outfit?)
I have also extended this resolution to home items. It's wonderful because I spend less time thinking and shopping online (and at the thrift stores) for the perfect budget-friendly ______. What we have is fine; there is no need to consume more. We don't really need a new front door or a new light fixture in the living room. Good grief, what we have is fine...(That was a taste of my inner monologue.)
I'm looking forward to a similar February in the realm of "unconsumerism". However, I foresee some trouble in March. We're heading to Chicago for a few days and will be staying near one of my favorite boutiques...not to mention just a train away from an H&M. Also, my cousin is getting married and I'm not sure what I'll wear. One day at a time...
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love hearing from you! What's on your mind?