If you've been reading this blog for awhile, you know that I LOVE to throw parties. Because of this innate desire to hang streamers and wear party hats, when our new friend from Tanzania told us that he'd never celebrated a birthday and that he was turning 34 on December 23rd, I couldn't help myself. No matter that it was already a week full of parties. No matter that there wasn't a lot of time for prep. Father Fortunatus had never had a birthday party! Jake and I sprang to action.
We met Father Fortu on Thanksgiving when he was visiting my mom's church in Tipton. He's a Catholic priest studying at St. Ambrose University and we've been thrilled to show him just a glimpse of the hospitality that Jake and our boys were shown when they traveled to Tanzania over the summer. We've loved getting to know him over the past month.
I think Father Fortu enjoyed his first American birthday party. I know I did. We invited nearly 20 family members and friends and asked them to make time for a new friend during a very busy week, plus bring a birthday gift. I was blown away (but not all that surprised, I suppose) by their generosity and their willingness to shower love on someone they'd never actually met. We gathered together and ate spinach lasagna, minestrone, salad, bread, and, of course, birthday cake. I was overcome by the sweetness of our friends—new and old.
We met Father Fortu on Thanksgiving when he was visiting my mom's church in Tipton. He's a Catholic priest studying at St. Ambrose University and we've been thrilled to show him just a glimpse of the hospitality that Jake and our boys were shown when they traveled to Tanzania over the summer. We've loved getting to know him over the past month.
I think Father Fortu enjoyed his first American birthday party. I know I did. We invited nearly 20 family members and friends and asked them to make time for a new friend during a very busy week, plus bring a birthday gift. I was blown away (but not all that surprised, I suppose) by their generosity and their willingness to shower love on someone they'd never actually met. We gathered together and ate spinach lasagna, minestrone, salad, bread, and, of course, birthday cake. I was overcome by the sweetness of our friends—new and old.

I love this! Everyone should have an opportunity to enjoy birthday cake!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet thing to do! The Birthday Boy certainly looks like he enjoyed his celebrations.
ReplyDeletexoxox