12/5/14

St. Nicholas Day :: December 6th

In what has become an annual tradition, we celebrated St. Nicholas Day last night with some dear friends. St. Nicholas lived in the third century and was incredibly generous with his inherited wealth. In fact, he is said to have left gifts for people in need and devoted his life to serving others. (You can read more about him HERE.) I love incorporating this story into our Advent/Christmas family traditions.

Eight kids and six adults gathered. I made lasagna the night before, tossed a salad (almonds, cranberries, blue cheese crumbles, yum!), and purchased three loaves of bread from the Eastside Bakery. Nikki (from Eastside) also made a cranberry-orange cake for the occasion. It was delicious!

I adore giving gifts and had our kids pick out a book for each of their friends. Here's the thing: We have so many books! The kids simply chose books from our shelves that were in good shape and that they thought their friends would enjoy. No one minded that they weren't brand new and I thought it was a nice practice of sharing. Of course there were gifts for the adults, too. Fun beer for the men and fair-trade fingerless gloves from SIS for the ladies.

Tomorrow is the actual calendar day of St. Nicholas Day (December 6th) and the kids will wake up to an ornament chosen especially for them and chocolate coins (read St. Nicholas's story...there's a reason for the coins). I love the celebration inherent to the season and am happy to honor St. Nicholas and share his story with our family and friends! Happy St. Nicholas Day to you!!!






(That's right. I thrifted Justin Bieber wrapping paper. Don't be jealous.) 



(If you know our kids, you'll know which ornament will go to which kid!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! What's on your mind?