8/4/14

Weekend DIY: Before and After

How was your weekend? We very intentionally kept ours quiet and it was lovely. We had a fun family outing of back-to-school shopping on Friday night (tax-free, baby!), went to the farmers' market on Saturday morning, and then church on Sunday. Other than that, we took bike rides, played outside, and relaxed. It was a much-needed, low-key few days.

In my leisure, however, I was inspired to do a few projects that have been on my list for quite some time. Since getting a cat, I have been trying to figure out the best litter box situation. (Please pardon me for bringing such a thing up here!) On Sunday, I moved the unsightly litter under the sink in the bathroom so that we didn't have to see it anymore. Jake removed the cupboard doors from under the sink and this happened next:

I put on a party dress, of course! Just kidding. I actually ran to Salvation Army and bought this for $2. It's cute and I almost kept it to wear, but it didn't actually zip in the back. So....snip snip! I cut off the bottom.


Next, I nailed it to the fixture with teeny-tiny nails. It's perfect because it required no sewing. It was already hemmed and pleated! We put the cat litter and all the supplies behind the curtain.



And there you have it! A $2 litter box solution/bathroom update. I kind of like it!


After that we took a family bike ride and contemplated life at a park in Bettendorf.



When we got home, we turned on some music and boiled water for sweet corn. Since my fabric scissors were out, I decided to work on a dress that I purchased at a thrift store over a year ago. I could see potential, but clearly it needed some work. (The dress, not the lady wearing the socks!)


I cut off the bottom and then took some of the excess fabric and made a belt. Voila! A new dress! I have a work dinner tomorrow night at Barley & Rye for Radish Magazine (I do love food assignments!) and I think I'll wear it there.


I hope your weekend was wonderful!

4 comments:

  1. You are pretty much the cutest person ever! Love the bathroom redo and that dress...that dress is ADORABLE just like you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennie stole the words out of my mouth. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the litter box solution, love the dress! You're so crafty!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! What's on your mind?