7/9/14

Sunday Supper: Blueberry Vinaigrette


So we actually ate this on a Wednesday, but I think it would make the most perfect summertime Sunday Supper! It's seasonal, healthy, and super easy to whip up after a long weekend.

We visited my mom recently and she sent us home with some leaf lettuce (very easy to grow) and kale (easy for her to grow, the bunnies ate ours!).  If you don't have greens in your garden (or have a generous mom/friend/neighbor willing to give you some from theirs), go directly to your farmers' market. We tossed the lettuce and kale with a simple blueberry vinaigrette (recipe below) and then threw on a few details from the cupboard and fridge: chopped red onions, almond slices, and raspberries. That's it!

Last night we made smoothies (kale + strawberries + a banana + more blueberries (!) + coconut milk) to accompany our meal, but on a weekend I'd much prefer a glass of crisp white wine. Blueberries are plentiful this time of year and inexpensive at the grocery. Delightful!


I modified the recipe a bit from an article that I developed it for several years ago. You can read the article HERE. In doing so you'll find a few more blueberry-based recipes. Or, you can just check out the recipe below:

Blueberry Vinaigrette

1 cup blueberries

2 tablespoons sugar (I bet honey would work, too!)

1 healthy teaspoon Dijon mustard (or more to taste)

2/3 cup olive oil

1/3 cup balsamic vinegar

Rinse and drain blueberries. Place them in a blender or food processor and pulse to chop finely. Add sugar, mustard, oil, vinegar and water. Serve immediately over greens. Use additional oil (or water) to thin out the vinaigrette if you're so inclined. Makes approximately 1-1/2 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! What's on your mind?