1 :: The Circle, a novel by Dave Eggers, was a page turner for me. I always enjoy his work and was simultaneously enthralled and frightened by this novel. It certainly made me question our collective desire for constant communication and virtual connectedness. At times, his story made my head spin (and yet I kept eagerly turning pages).
2 :: I recently discovered Sarah Bessey and really enjoyed her book, Jesus Feminist. Though I am not sure that I totally relate to her experience growing up in a conservative church, I find her perspective to be powerful and interesting to consider. I grew up Catholic but never really struggled with feeling as if I didn't have a voice because of my gender. Perhaps it's because my mom is such a leader in our local parish and I saw so many women serving the church in a variety of meaningful ways. I've since discovered Bessey's blog and enjoy that as well.
3 :: I've read Brene Brown's Daring Greatly twice now (once for fun and once with a group) and each time am reminded of what a worrier and perfectionist I am. I find her down-to-earth, sensible, and inspiring—kind of like a wise older sister gently pointing out the ways in which I could be enjoying life more. I'd recommend this book to anyone looking for personal growth and freedom to create.
4 :: For better or worse, the former high school English teacher in me can't help but buy books for my niece and nephew's birthday gifts. The bottom row of books pictured above are all gifts that we gave our pre-tween nephews for their birthdays in the last month. Play Ball, by Matt Christopher, seemed appropriate since its about cousins and baseball and (sniff sniff) moving away…all very apt themes in Tariku's newly 9-year-old life.
5 :: I like this series of biographies and have given many of them as gifts. The cast of characters is wide; there's a book about everyone from Rosa Parks to Walt Disney. We thought Tomas might enjoy a little nonfiction. (We gave him a biography as well as a Minecraft survival book.)
6 :: Finally, Oliver and his cousin Trysten LOVE the Percy Jackson series. One thing I enjoy about the series is that there are a lot of books to accompany the original series. Not only are there graphic novels which the boys seem to love, but also books focusing on Greek Mythology. It's fun to hear these boys discuss Greek myth through the characters they encounter in this Rick Riordan series.

Daring Greatly = awesome! Love that book!
ReplyDelete