Eli is just beginning to unlock the magic of a good book and often needs a bit of encouragement. He hasn't yet gotten into Harry Potter, which sort of surprises me considering how obsessed his brother and cousins are, but is starting to be interested in the Diary of the Wimpy Kid series, which is a good break through. I have to admit, I've found him "sneak reading" with his book light a couple of nights past bedtime….and I've let it slide.
Because of his interest in cooking, I thought he might enjoy these books by Giada De Laurentiis. We've been reading them aloud together and they are delightful! They're about a precocious boy and his sister whose food-loving auntie has the power to transport the children (with just one bite of her cooking) to foodie destinations where they learn about culture and food. In Paris, the kids land in a French cooking school for kids. This has been especially fun to talk about and dream about! (The other book takes place in Naples and I believe there is a new book just out about Hong Kong.) These books won't be classics, but if your reader is interested in food, they are a lot of fun!
I recently finished The Interestings, by Meg Wolitzer, and loved it. I picked it up based on the cover quote by Jeffrey Eugenides (Middle Sex, The Marriage Plot) and loved watching the quirky, art-y characters come of age and their friendships evolve over decades. A quote from a main character, Ethan Figman: "Everyone basically has one aria to sing over their entire life, and this one is hers…"

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love hearing from you! What's on your mind?