I'm usually a huge fan of New Year's Resolutions. In fact, I kind of love them…the challenge, the parameters, the thrill of a new beginning. In the past, I've made some major proclamations right here on the blog—like in 2012 when I resolved not to buy clothes for the entire year or in 2013 when I vowed to read at least two books per month and cultivate some serious joy in my life. This year, however, nothing grand or easily measured is jumping out at me, so I'm taking inspiration from this darling print and declaring my intentions for 2014.
This year, I will WALK JOYFULLY. I will let go of PERFECTION & embrace THE MESSY and SPONTANEOUS. I will honor my TIME and love THOSE AROUND ME RADICALLY. I will stand up and share my EXCLAMATION POINTS with the world!
How about you? How would you fill in the blanks?
If you're like me, you'll think this all sounds great, but will need some tangibles in order to really move forward. Here are my specifics for 2014:
- How will you WALK JOYFULLY? By spending my time and resources on experiences rather than things. By continuing a meditation practice and endeavoring to concentrate on each moment as it arises.
- How will you let go of PERFECTION? By not allowing my need to please others to cripple who I really am, by sometimes settling for good enough, by reminding myself what really matters, and by taking the long view. (This year I will remember that I am loved and I am enough!)
- What does it mean to embrace THE MESSY and SPONTANEOUS? This is so scary. I hate last-minute plans and am crippled by forks in the road. However, I will try to be more patient with others and more adaptable in my day. Deep breaths will likely help.
- How will you honor your TIME? I will say 'no' to things that interfere or that obligate me to things outside of my mission to serve God and my family. I will be honest about what I am/am not capable of.
- How do you plan to RADICALLY share you LOVE with THOSE AROUND YOU? I intend to look my children and husband in the eye, thus striving to take the time to really see them when we're interacting. I intend to make two phone calls per month to long-distance friends. I also plan to leave the house ten minutes before we really need to in order to relieve stress. (This tends to be my least lovable time of day.)
- How will you stand up and share your EXCLAMATION POINTS with the world? I intend to continue to read and educate myself and allow myself to feel passion…love...something about this world. I intend to look for wonder and do my best to be a reflection of positive energy and Love.

Your declaration and descriptions are so spot on! I love your intentionality and hope to be one of your long distance phone calls (giggle)!
ReplyDelete