10/4/13

Holy Water (It's raining and we're planning a party.)


We're in the midst of a lot of really amazing plans right now. Within the next few months, Jake is heading to LA for work, I'm planning a girls' weekend in Dallas, and we have two short Chicago trips to look forward to as well (one for work, one for pleasure). Not to mention the 5th (!) annual Wine to Water party and my grandmother's 80th birthday. We're also making plans for an aunt's 50th birthday excursion and my cousin's upcoming wedding and all the pre-wedding parties a traditional wedding entails. Looking at my calendar and organizing time, money, and details makes me realize how lucky Jake and I are in the family and friend department. 

One of the things I'm most excited about is the kids' baptism. At the end of the month, all three of them will be baptized by one of my favorite friends (who also happens to be a pastor). Oliver, Eli, and Sintayehu will stand up with their precious godparents and experience the right. Growing up in a strong and dedicated Catholic family, I was, of course, baptized as an infant, and throughout my childhood, I attended countless baptisms. In the Catholic church, baptism is the first sacrament and it's something to be celebrated. Babies are baptized and then there is a party with lots of food and family and cake. I love this. There is something so important about coming together to recognize these moments, share this tradition, and feel the connection that binds us through common experience.

When Oliver and Eli were born, we were part of a beautiful church community that did not baptize infants. Oliver was "dedicated" (and there was food and cake, just the same), but we never got around to dedicating Eli. When Sintayehu came home, we were in Iowa and still trying to figure out where our family belonged. Two years later, we feel very happy with our church community and want to further plant roots for our kids. Oliver has been asking to be baptized for months and Eli is amenable, so we're thrilled to make it happen.

I'm thrilled to share in the sacramental memories that I have from childhood. I remember my First Communion and my Confirmation as milestone events in my life. I remember feeling really special and really loved on those days with my extended family around me. I remember shopping for my First Communion dress (pink with a white lace overlay) with my mom and I remember getting my hair done the morning of the service. The event was a big deal and all the fuss and preparation helped me understand that our family's faith was a big deal as well.

I want our children to be baptized so that they understand that as their parents we believe in something bigger than ourselves. I want them to stand in front of our church and peer out at the vastness of the spiritual community gathered.  I hope that they are touched by holy water and mesmerized by the glow of their baptismal candle. I want them to know how loved they are, by not only their parents, but by their godparents, their pastor, GOD, and the extended family and friends that will show up that day. What a privilege it is as a parent to be able to share this gift and experience this age-old spiritual practice together.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to be a part of it either! Love those babes more than I can even put into words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Congrats Oliver, Eli & Sinta!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so if I drove to Dallas, could we share a cup of coffee?

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! What's on your mind?