Last week we invited our neighbors over for a little afternoon craft project/playdate. I saw this idea on Pinterest last year and thought it looked like something they would all enjoy. And they did!
I started gathering supplies awhile back. All you need are clear bulbs (they're glass, but the kids are old enough to handle it), Mod Podge, paint brushes and fabric scraps. I never thought I'd be someone who had fabric scraps on hand. And yet here I am. Ahem.
I showed them my example (you know I love to pretend I'm an art teacher!) and they went to town. It was fun to see which scraps each of them chose for their ornament. Popular patterns included superheroes, bicycles, music notes and bright polka dots.
Once they figured it out, they really got into it. It's a great project for this age because Mod Podge is very forgiving...and washable.
I was, of course, less inclined to let me two-year-old handle the glass bulbs, so she painted instead. Eventually Sintayehu decorated her paper with fabric scraps as well, which was also fun.
I let them dry overnight and we delivered them to the neighbors the next day. The results, if you don't mind me saying, are beautiful! The kids seemed proud of their work and were anxious to hang them on the tree.
*************
On another note, I don't know about you, but I'm still feeling really, really sad.
This article resonated with me. I hope you're well!

I'm going to have to try this craft. I read that article last night; so, so, so sad...
ReplyDeleteBeautiful ornaments!!!! LOVE THEM!
ReplyDeleteAnd seriously, I can't stop crying either...still. :(
Love the ornaments. Learn something new every day (never heard of mod podge). And that article is beautiful. Even though mine is only 2, I can relate in many ways. And I get weepy every time I even sort of think about it. Charlotte's gotten A LOT of extra hugs these past few days (whether she likes it or not)!
ReplyDeleteLove the craft.
ReplyDeleteAnd beautiful, heartbreaking article. In a world where light and hope dance with darkness and despair, Lord have mercy on me.