Resolution #1: The Great American Apparel Fast
Is this thing over yet?
It seems that with the beginning of each new season, I start drooling over the new selection of clothing. Right now, I would really like a pair of new brown boots. But alas, I've come this far...
I've gone nine months trying not to purchase anything new to add to my wardrobe (actually, I have buckled under the pressure seven times, as you will recall, and I recently got new glasses which I'm not sure if I should count or not). However, I have not purchased a single thing for our home this year and that part has actually been fairly easy. I almost caved and got a new coffee pot/espresso maker last spring, but I'm glad I didn't--we really don't need it. We have also been using a towel as a bath mat in the upstairs bathroom for well over six months now because I don't want to buy a new bath mat and break my fast. I know that some of you might think that's gross or unattractive, and there have certainly been times where I think to myself, "For goodness sake, Leslie, just buy a new bathmat!" and yet, I'm glad I haven't. It serves as an everyday reminder of needs vs. wants and what we really can get by on.
Back to the clothes. I didn't make any purchases in September and am feeling confident about October as well. However, my birthday was in September and I received several new-to-me items of clothing as gifts from my family. I have to admit that after nine months, I was pretty excited to receive these gifts and give the closet a bit of a boost. My sister-in-law gave me a new shirt, a new bracelet (fair-trade!) and a pair of jeggings that I have not yet worked up the courage to wear. I went thrifting with another sister-in-law (she was preparing for her move to Brooklyn and looking for some gritty style) in September and she insisted on buying me this red dress (below), which I tried on and fell in love with.
I accepted this gift from Kaitlin happily, but if there's one thing I've learned this year it's to stay out of fitting rooms!! Once you've admired an item, touched it, and then tried it on, it's very difficult to say no.
My mother-in-law and I also went thrifting one evening in September as well. She wanted to buy me a few new items for my birthday and I wanted to pick her brain about sewing and refashioning old clothing. We ended up purchasing and refashioning the following...

I love this burgundy dress. Terre and I shortened it and hemmed it. (On right.)

This girl's sister is getting married later on this month and I really didn't want to wear my green dress again--especially since I had worn it to her brother's wedding several years ago. Terre bought me this navy blue dress (below left) at the Salvation Army and, I'm telling you, it was straight out of the 1980s TV show Dallas with long sleeves and shoulder pads. I love the color and the texture of the fabric. We removed the shoulder pads and sleeves and Terre re-stitched them. She also freshened up the belt. I really like it and think it will be great for the wedding and for holiday wear.
We bought the floral dress (on right), shortened it and dyed it blue. (It used to be black/brown/peach. Picture it with a belt and a little cardigan.) This was kind of an experiment in dying. Terre has great vision and reminded me that not only can garments be altered by cutting/hemming/re-fitting, but they can also be given new life by completely changing the color.
Terre's gift of time and talent was a wonderful birthday present to me because as I re-enter the market in January, I think I will really enjoy buying used clothing and refashioning them to fit my body and style. I am lucky that I have a mother-in-law who is an amazing seamstress and is willing to teach me a few of her tricks! Going forward in 2013, I plan to do my best to purchase used clothing for a number of reasons: 1) I love thrifting, 2) I appreciate the uniqueness of items found in second-hand stores, 3) I won't be contributing to the demand for fast fashion that drains precious resources and is often produced by workers in sub-par environments who are not paid a living wage.
A few observations with three months left in the fast: I can tell you that at this point, I don't miss popping into Marshall's or Von Maur or the women's section at Target like I used to. My head would literally spin in these places, calculating cost and style as I talked myself into unnecessary purchases. Also, I'm finding that getting dressed is easier in the morning because I have less options that I like a lot better. My life is, in a small way, simpler for this fast and I truly appreciate that.
Resolution #2: Live and Let Live
This phrase keeps lurking in my mind and I like it there. It seems like anytime there is "drama" (not that there is ever a lot of drama, but you know, every once in awhile things get a little exciting), I try to re-call this posture. Live and let live. Live and let live. When I remember this, it pops things right back into perspective.
Is this thing over yet?
It seems that with the beginning of each new season, I start drooling over the new selection of clothing. Right now, I would really like a pair of new brown boots. But alas, I've come this far...
I've gone nine months trying not to purchase anything new to add to my wardrobe (actually, I have buckled under the pressure seven times, as you will recall, and I recently got new glasses which I'm not sure if I should count or not). However, I have not purchased a single thing for our home this year and that part has actually been fairly easy. I almost caved and got a new coffee pot/espresso maker last spring, but I'm glad I didn't--we really don't need it. We have also been using a towel as a bath mat in the upstairs bathroom for well over six months now because I don't want to buy a new bath mat and break my fast. I know that some of you might think that's gross or unattractive, and there have certainly been times where I think to myself, "For goodness sake, Leslie, just buy a new bathmat!" and yet, I'm glad I haven't. It serves as an everyday reminder of needs vs. wants and what we really can get by on.
Back to the clothes. I didn't make any purchases in September and am feeling confident about October as well. However, my birthday was in September and I received several new-to-me items of clothing as gifts from my family. I have to admit that after nine months, I was pretty excited to receive these gifts and give the closet a bit of a boost. My sister-in-law gave me a new shirt, a new bracelet (fair-trade!) and a pair of jeggings that I have not yet worked up the courage to wear. I went thrifting with another sister-in-law (she was preparing for her move to Brooklyn and looking for some gritty style) in September and she insisted on buying me this red dress (below), which I tried on and fell in love with.
I accepted this gift from Kaitlin happily, but if there's one thing I've learned this year it's to stay out of fitting rooms!! Once you've admired an item, touched it, and then tried it on, it's very difficult to say no.
My mother-in-law and I also went thrifting one evening in September as well. She wanted to buy me a few new items for my birthday and I wanted to pick her brain about sewing and refashioning old clothing. We ended up purchasing and refashioning the following...

I love this burgundy dress. Terre and I shortened it and hemmed it. (On right.)

This girl's sister is getting married later on this month and I really didn't want to wear my green dress again--especially since I had worn it to her brother's wedding several years ago. Terre bought me this navy blue dress (below left) at the Salvation Army and, I'm telling you, it was straight out of the 1980s TV show Dallas with long sleeves and shoulder pads. I love the color and the texture of the fabric. We removed the shoulder pads and sleeves and Terre re-stitched them. She also freshened up the belt. I really like it and think it will be great for the wedding and for holiday wear.We bought the floral dress (on right), shortened it and dyed it blue. (It used to be black/brown/peach. Picture it with a belt and a little cardigan.) This was kind of an experiment in dying. Terre has great vision and reminded me that not only can garments be altered by cutting/hemming/re-fitting, but they can also be given new life by completely changing the color.
Terre's gift of time and talent was a wonderful birthday present to me because as I re-enter the market in January, I think I will really enjoy buying used clothing and refashioning them to fit my body and style. I am lucky that I have a mother-in-law who is an amazing seamstress and is willing to teach me a few of her tricks! Going forward in 2013, I plan to do my best to purchase used clothing for a number of reasons: 1) I love thrifting, 2) I appreciate the uniqueness of items found in second-hand stores, 3) I won't be contributing to the demand for fast fashion that drains precious resources and is often produced by workers in sub-par environments who are not paid a living wage.
A few observations with three months left in the fast: I can tell you that at this point, I don't miss popping into Marshall's or Von Maur or the women's section at Target like I used to. My head would literally spin in these places, calculating cost and style as I talked myself into unnecessary purchases. Also, I'm finding that getting dressed is easier in the morning because I have less options that I like a lot better. My life is, in a small way, simpler for this fast and I truly appreciate that.
Resolution #2: Live and Let Live
This phrase keeps lurking in my mind and I like it there. It seems like anytime there is "drama" (not that there is ever a lot of drama, but you know, every once in awhile things get a little exciting), I try to re-call this posture. Live and let live. Live and let live. When I remember this, it pops things right back into perspective.

I need you to take me thrifting; these clothes all look super cute. And even that kind of shopping makes my head spin...
ReplyDeleteanytime you're ready to go thrifting again, give me a call. I have NO problem with clothes shopping. In fact, as you know, I HATE it! But clothes shopping for my 4 girls is a joy! And sewing them? I wish we could sew some clothes for all of you. I love custom garment construction. And love it more when I do it for my girls! I think it would be extra nice if you would model those dresses and have Jake take your pic! yes???
ReplyDeleteDo you go to Cinderella Cellar on 35th??? They have some awesome boots there now. I bought two brand-new pairs of shoes there last week .... with the price stickers on the bottom ... for $8 and $5 each.
ReplyDeleteI find some great stuff there!
Oh my goodness I love, love these dresses, especially the red and Dallas number. And the dyeing. Amazing. Am so wishing I had Terre in my life...I did pick up a fun little polka dot polyester dress for the Wine to Water party for $2.50 when I found the amazing Sears coat for Thomas.
ReplyDeleteAlso, great article on the coffee. Thanks for that.
Agreed...you need to model them and have Jake take your picture! :) I LOVE all of your dresses and when you repurpose them, you have a 1 of a kind and THAT is awesome! :) Miss you!
ReplyDelete