1/5/12

Resolutions...Feeling Reflective


Ahhh...but not today.
I'm writing these resolutions here in an act of transparency and to sort out some thoughts on virtual paper. I should also mention that these are not grand, year-long proclamations; rather, these are things that I will try to think about and act on each day. I may fail, but I will be forgiving of myself and realize that, by the grace of God, tomorrow is a new day. I will try to alter my daily behavior in ways that influence the grand scheme of my life and create new patterns of existence. (Remember, the Pope inspired me here.)

Resolution #1: Today, I will be someone who abides by the maxim "live and let live." I will love those around me (both strangers and loved ones) and try not to judge decisions or actions, just as I will be forgiving of myself as I make decisions and live my life. When I make a decision, I will stand by my choice without feeling guilty or second-guessing my thought process and eventual arrival of consciousness. Just as I will respect the decisions of those around me and trust that they are made in the best interest of that individual or family, I will also respect my own decision-making ability and allow myself to live in each decision I make. In other words, I need to work on being true to myself, doing what's right for my family and worrying less about pleasing other people.

--Today, I will not purchase new clothing for myself. In the model of "The Great American Apparel Diet," I'm going to try not to buy new clothes this year. I do not buy a lot of clothes, but these days, when I feel like I'd like something new to wear, I go out and purchase something. I actually really like fashion and clothing (though by no means would I consider myself any sort of fashionista), but I make this resolution for two reasons:

1. I have a closet full of clothes. Never do I NEED a new outfit, like I sometimes like to convince myself. This is an exercise in wants and needs. I often suffer from the very first-world problem of what to wear. Part of this, I believe, stems from having so many choices. I want to simplify my life by limiting choice in apparel (Einstein wore the same thing everyday, as does Cornel West...I think there's something to that!) and celebrating what is already in front of me. Plus, I think it will be fun to be more creative in wearing what I already have.

2. I don't often "go without". I am very, very fortunate in that if I want a new shirt or a new "look" I can purchase something to satisfy the craving. (Don't get me wrong--I shop at Target, Marshalls, and the sale rack of department stores -- we're not talking designers here.) But just as I try to teach my children moderation and delayed gratification, I think I need to implement some of these traits more intentionally as well. I would also assume that I will save money by shopping in my closet instead of at a store and I would like to free those resources for something more worthwhile to me like travel, books, good cheese (I kid, sort of) and giving to others.

IF I feel desperate, I am going to try to purchase used clothing or perhaps even borrow from friends. Of course, I'll take it day by day. Recently, I was at Target and I really wanted a mustard colored cardigan. Not today, I said to myself, and I was able to leave without much disappointment.  So those are my resolutions. We'll see how it goes!

3 comments:

  1. I'm with ya, sister! I'm trying very hard not to buy any new clothing for awhile. I probably won't make it a whole year..but I am hoping to make several months at least. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shopping your closet can actually be a ton of fun and really eye-opening. (I get lots of ideas from InStyle magazine.) It gives you a great chance to be creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm super excited about this!! Can't wait to hang/chat tonight! Xo.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! What's on your mind?