1. I turned 36 a few weeks ago. 36! It felt like a big one. It was a day filled with wonderful people, coffee, flowers, cake, and champagne—all the best things. I'm finding I'm a bit weepy at 36. I don't know. By all accounts, by the time you hit your mid-thirties, you can't deny that you're a legit adult. And yet, it has all seemed to sneak up on me. Sometimes it's all so beautiful and overwhelming and REAL that it makes my eyes sting.
2. Jake and I spent Labor Day weekend first in Chicago at his cousin's gorgeous wedding and then at home without the kids. (We saw the movie Boyhood. So good!) We picked up the kids, who were spending the weekend camping with my mom and step-dad, and enjoyed sharing stories and spending some time in a beautiful setting by Lake McBride.
3. We've definitely entered a new stage of parenting that entails the shepherding of individual children with individual interests. Basically this necessitates more time in the minivan. Oliver is enjoying dance and acting class, Eli starts karate this week, and both boys are still taking piano lessons. Sintayehu and I bring our books and My Little Ponies and watch it all unfold...
4. I had a phone conference with my agent last Friday. Even though he couldn't see me, I dressed up for it. Do you guys ever do that!? I needed a boost of confidence—more than my comfy leggings/pretend work-out clothes were giving me that dreary day. Anyway, the conversation went well. After spending months building my "platform" (FB page + public appearances + new website + lots of other things to prove to publishers I have a few numbers behind me), he has decided to take my book back out to publishers. I'm so excited! I'm also trying not to think about. I still completely believe in the message of my book, enough so that I find this horrible, terrible, anxiety-ridden process worth it. Onward...
5. Wine to Water planning is underway! Yes, my partner in crime, Tesi, moved to Michigan, but a few silly miles won't stop this event! Of course, because the actual organization by the name of "Wine to Water" has asked us to stop using its name for our fundraiser, we will be calling it the WATER PARTY this year. (Ahem. I guess this means we're on the map.) Anyway, the event will take place in the same venue (3rd floor of the Redstone Building) and we've already managed to secure a few really fantastic details. I'm so excited to keep you posted!! Mark your calendar for November 15th!!!
This is a picture of a BROKEN well Jake took this summer in Tanzania. The Adventure Project can fix that! There are broken wells all over Africa. At the Water Party, we'll be raising money to train well mechanics in Uganda. The impact, I promise you, is astounding!!
6. Speaking of Tanzania, I still can't believe two of my kids went to Africa this summer. I need to tell you more about it! Stay tuned!
2. Jake and I spent Labor Day weekend first in Chicago at his cousin's gorgeous wedding and then at home without the kids. (We saw the movie Boyhood. So good!) We picked up the kids, who were spending the weekend camping with my mom and step-dad, and enjoyed sharing stories and spending some time in a beautiful setting by Lake McBride.
3. We've definitely entered a new stage of parenting that entails the shepherding of individual children with individual interests. Basically this necessitates more time in the minivan. Oliver is enjoying dance and acting class, Eli starts karate this week, and both boys are still taking piano lessons. Sintayehu and I bring our books and My Little Ponies and watch it all unfold...
![]() |
5. Wine to Water planning is underway! Yes, my partner in crime, Tesi, moved to Michigan, but a few silly miles won't stop this event! Of course, because the actual organization by the name of "Wine to Water" has asked us to stop using its name for our fundraiser, we will be calling it the WATER PARTY this year. (Ahem. I guess this means we're on the map.) Anyway, the event will take place in the same venue (3rd floor of the Redstone Building) and we've already managed to secure a few really fantastic details. I'm so excited to keep you posted!! Mark your calendar for November 15th!!!
This is a picture of a BROKEN well Jake took this summer in Tanzania. The Adventure Project can fix that! There are broken wells all over Africa. At the Water Party, we'll be raising money to train well mechanics in Uganda. The impact, I promise you, is astounding!!
6. Speaking of Tanzania, I still can't believe two of my kids went to Africa this summer. I need to tell you more about it! Stay tuned!
![]() |
| (Oliver on safari! Seriously!) |






I love that your kiddos went to Africa! Life changing, for sure! Your book will be amazing! I feel it in my bones. The fact that you dress up for a phone conference- adorable!
ReplyDelete