7/23/14

July is for travel: NYC

July has been a wonderful whirlwind! The boys and Jake had an amazing time in Africa and I can't wait to devote several posts to their photos and stories. Many of you have had questions: Why send a 7-year-old to Africa? Why not go along? We'll get to all that. But first, I wanted to write a quick re-cap of how Sintayehu and I spent our days while they were away. We missed them, of course, but we also had no trouble finding our own fun. We spent a lot of time with my mother (my step-dad was in Africa with the boys). It's amazing how much conversation you can engage in when just one child is underfoot rather than three. Mom, Sinta, and I lounged on her gorgeous porch(es) in my hometown, enjoyed her garden, good food, nice wine, and spent several days in Chicago. It was delightful.

Celebrating my mama's birthday in style.
After just a few days back at home (a 1st birthday party for our nephew, a graduation party for a friend, lots of work, and a few dinners with girlfriends), Sintayehu and I left for NYC. It was perfect timing, really. A trip to Brooklyn was a great adventure for the two of us; we looked forward to it and then loved our time there. We stayed with Jake's sister and had a great time talking and being. I love that about Kait. She's so relaxed and so comfortable and we were happy just to be together. We did a lot of walking and restaurant-ing and talking. (My ideal weekend, mind you.) Since our "nice" camera was in Africa and my current iPhone's camera doesn't work, I used my old iPhone to document the trip. Here's what the lens (and Kait's lens) captured...

Subway Sintayehu. Posing with The New Yorker because, you know.
We found great parks. This was her favorite. (She loves water.)
I love this lady so much!
She's a fantastic auntie. This was on the Brooklyn Promenade. After we strolled here, we sat and drank a beer at a cute Brooklyn Heights restaurant. (I can't remember the name.) After that we went out for Thai food in Williamsburg and then walked home in the rain.
Sintayehu is ridiculously easy to travel with. She's a delight. Of course, we brought her ponies along for moral support. Here we are with Apple Jack at a beer garden in Brooklyn. Kait treated me to an Old Fashioned and then we walked back to her apartment and were lulled to sleep by her downstairs neighbor who plays the jazz saxophone!
We went into the city on Sunday afternoon because I really wanted to go to THIS exhibit about children's book at the NY Public Library. Unfortunately, the exhibit is closed on Sundays in July. We wandered around Bryant Park and took a ride on the carousel and then walked through Times Square on our way back to Kait's.


On Saturday morning, we went to the Brooklyn Flea Market. I loved it! (Especially the doughiest doughy doughnut I've ever had.) The merchandise was great, but as I told Kait, it's nothing I can't find at our thrift stores here. (A perk about living in the QCA! Love!)
Street art Sinta
On Monday while Kait was at work, Sintayehu and I wandered around. We had lunch at a cafe in Williamsburg. As you can see, the ponies came with us. Here they are taking a post-lunch nap. :-)
On Sunday morning we ate at a fantastic vegan restaurant. The graffiti in the bathroom was great. "Cheese pizza kills!' We did not heed the warning and went ahead and ate the pizza at Roberta's...delicious. Two things I miss and love about the city: inexpensive manis/pedis and inexpensive bouquets on the corner.
We flew back to Chicago to meet my mom on Tuesday. I hope that I never take for granted how amazing the opportunity to travel is and never fail to experience the wonder that comes with it. It refreshes and inspires like nothing else. It makes me remember how big the world is and how grand...

1 comment:

  1. Yay! What a wonderful trip. Jealous! In a good way. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! What's on your mind?