5/30/14

Weekending: He's 10!

I wouldn't say that I'm a terribly sentimental person. However. My firstborn is turning 10 tomorrow and there is this feeling in my gut that I can't quite shake. Double digits! My first baby! I don't know how in the world this has happened and I'm frankly not sure how to respond.


He cried a lot when he was a baby. Like a lot. And he never slept. And there were weeks that I worried that he may never smile. He has always been so serious! But this serious, sensitive soul is my boy and he is a total delight. He loves to read and create and he asks the most amazing questions. He loves his new kitty and his siblings and his family fiercely. He enjoys soccer and riding his bike, and he likes "fancy" things...nice salons, dapper suits, and, recently, sparkly jewelry. I used to always joke that Jake and my first baby would be the perfect "coffee shop" baby. Ten years later and it's a dream come true. He and I love our coffee shop and bookstore dates. He's an amazing kid.


So, with an unexpected and near constant lump in my throat, we're celebrating Oliver this weekend. He invited two friends to sleep over tonight. We'll order pizza and wings (his choice), go to Eli's baseball game, and then go out for ice cream afterwards. He has requested waffles in the morning and then a family party at our house in the evening, with hamburgers, of course. How did I get so lucky to watch this kid grow? What an absolute privilege it is to be his mama.

4 comments:

  1. agreed. An absolute privilege to be his auntie. Love you too much Oliver Israel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful little person...happy birthday sweet Oliver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday, birthday twin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is such a gentle and individualistic young man. He is beautiful inside and out. 10 years old seems so grown up. Love him so much.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! What's on your mind?