5/7/14

DIY Mother's Day Gifts :: Painted Pots


Here's one more idea for an easy DIY Mother's Day gift. You can't go wrong with flowers, and painting and planting makes for a fun project!


A few weeks ago, I spray painted a half dozen terra cotta pots. Some of them were thrifted, some of them were from Habitat ReStore, and some were new last year. It doesn't matter. Just spray paint them white (two coats). I did this in the garage on a rainy day while Sinta rode her bike in the alley. (Please note that she typically wears a helmet but since it was raining, I knew she'd only last a few minutes and wouldn't be going far.)

This week, I painted on gold polka dots with the paint and brushes pictured above (both purchased at Hobby Lobby). I love the gold on white, but you could use any color you'd like. The polka dots took a couple of coats and required a little bit of fix-up with a regular paint brush. None of the kids wanted to help with this, which was probably okay. Polka dots are not terribly forgiving. And frankly, I enjoyed the alone time in the garage after they went to bed! I sprayed on a coat of sealant to finish the job.

Yesterday afternoon was gorgeous so Sintayehu and I took advantage of the beautiful weather and planted flowers in the pots. She was a terrific helper!



We also planted a few flowers in the backyard. 


Last year, we did a similar project for Mother's Day. The kids painted terra cotta pots, but did so with little guidance from me. They combined colors and shapes at will and I love how they turned out! We used acrylics and I put a layer of sealant over the pots after the paint dried. I was so happy to pull a few of these pots out once again this year. They make me so happy!


Of course, if you don't feel like making a Mother's Day gift, in my experience a nice bottle of wine, a pound of good coffee, a pedicure, or a piece of jewelry is just as appreciated. Regardless of how you celebrate the women in your life, celebrate them well! If you're like me, it's the mamas/aunties/sisters/friends that make this world extra sweet.

1 comment:

  1. I love my white flower pot with gold metallic polka dots and a sweet flowering plant in it! Thank you sweet Leslie!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! What's on your mind?