This year's New Year's resolutions were simple: Read more and concentrate on joy. I'm keeping myself accountable on the blog...
Resolution: Read Two Books Each Month
Resolution: Read Two Books Each Month
I LOVED this book. Carry On, Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton is fantastic. I underlined, highlighted, and took notes in the margin. I laughed out loud...to the point that Jake thought I was going nuts. I stayed up until 2 a.m. to finish the book on the day it arrived in the mail. (People, I love to sleep. This does not happen.) I found the author refreshingly honest and beautiful and wise. I have not been a follower of the author's blog, Momastery, so all of this was fresh material for me. She's a great writer and her message is funny, gracious, forgiving, and absolutely beautiful. Who else has read it? Let's have coffee to discuss!
In She Matters, Susanna Sonnenberg devotes a chapter to each of the important friendships that she has experienced throughout her life. I loved the structure of this book and it inspired a lengthy journal entry chronicling the crucial friendships of my life. The book is interesting. Sonnenberg is an elegant writer and I enjoyed the peek into her life. Her story is both riveting and sad. Though there are redemptive moments and I was grateful for her candor, each time I picked it up, I found my heart growing heavy.
I can't remember why I picked this book up, but I've been reading it for months and am glad to be done with it. It wasn't a bad book, by any means. In fact, it was really interesting...just not a page turner. (It's a biography written in 1791; I suppose I didn't really expect a "quick" read.) Johnson was an English writer, poet, scholar, etc., etc., who lived in the 1700s. James Boswell was a companion and admirer of Johnson and documented his mentor in this biography, in which he is a character. He records Dr. Johnson saying things like, "Wine makes a man more pleased with himself. I do not say that it makes him more pleasing to others." (Funny.) And, "He used frequently to observe, that there was more to be endured than enjoyed, in the general condition of human life." (Interesting.) And, "Some people have a foolish way of not minding, or pretending not mind, what they eat. For my part, I mind my belly very studiously, and very carefully; for I look upon it, that he who does not mind his belly will hardly mind anything else." (I get it.)
Resolution: Cultivate JOY
It seems that the daily rain and cold of April sent me searching for joy in form of yoga pants and complete laziness. But despite the miserable weather, I was able to find some joy. I have to admit that in the fourth month of this resolution I am finding that as much as I try to control my joy by carefully choosing how to spend my time, intentionally doing things to bring about happiness, etc., this joy that I crave is a sense that comes from deep down. This shouldn't come as a surprise, but it makes me realize that we can't just snap our fingers and find peace and joy and happiness. There is some work and wisdom involved.
For instance, things like the new pajamas I bought this month brought a moment of pleasure, but didn't offer the lasting fulfillment and peace that I crave. The fresh flowers I've been keeping on the table, though, are a daily reminder of beauty. I added a collection of photos to a wall in our upstairs bathroom and every time I brush my teeth and see images in their bright frames, I feel a twinge of happiness. I'm wondering if by carefully cultivating these moments, my overall state of mind will reflect the attention I'm giving joy in my life.
I was intentional about reading more and working less in the evenings, which I think helps my sense of leisure and peace of mind. Speaking of work, I got to meet a lovely couple and a fantastic woman for articles I was writing. I found both interviews to be inspiring and fun. This brings joy! Our family ran together at the Project Renewal road race, and the boys are enjoying YMCA track on Sunday afternoons. Seeing them hustle and run also brings ridiculous joy. This month I had lunch at school with both boys and got to accompany Eli on his class field trip. He and I also made macarons. I had a great visit with my mom early in the month and had some important conversations with good friends. The last couple of days have been warm and sunny. It's amazing how much joy this can bring!
It seems that the daily rain and cold of April sent me searching for joy in form of yoga pants and complete laziness. But despite the miserable weather, I was able to find some joy. I have to admit that in the fourth month of this resolution I am finding that as much as I try to control my joy by carefully choosing how to spend my time, intentionally doing things to bring about happiness, etc., this joy that I crave is a sense that comes from deep down. This shouldn't come as a surprise, but it makes me realize that we can't just snap our fingers and find peace and joy and happiness. There is some work and wisdom involved.
For instance, things like the new pajamas I bought this month brought a moment of pleasure, but didn't offer the lasting fulfillment and peace that I crave. The fresh flowers I've been keeping on the table, though, are a daily reminder of beauty. I added a collection of photos to a wall in our upstairs bathroom and every time I brush my teeth and see images in their bright frames, I feel a twinge of happiness. I'm wondering if by carefully cultivating these moments, my overall state of mind will reflect the attention I'm giving joy in my life.
I was intentional about reading more and working less in the evenings, which I think helps my sense of leisure and peace of mind. Speaking of work, I got to meet a lovely couple and a fantastic woman for articles I was writing. I found both interviews to be inspiring and fun. This brings joy! Our family ran together at the Project Renewal road race, and the boys are enjoying YMCA track on Sunday afternoons. Seeing them hustle and run also brings ridiculous joy. This month I had lunch at school with both boys and got to accompany Eli on his class field trip. He and I also made macarons. I had a great visit with my mom early in the month and had some important conversations with good friends. The last couple of days have been warm and sunny. It's amazing how much joy this can bring!



No comments:
Post a Comment
I love hearing from you! What's on your mind?