12/6/12

Happy St. Nicholas Day!

When I was a child, my mother always honored the memory of St. Nicholas, a Greek bishop living in the Roman Empire who was known for his generosity and is said to be the real-life model for Santa Claus. I fondly remember leaving my shoes out the night before December 6th and finding them filled the next morning with candies and trinkets.  My mom would throw parties on this day and let me invite my friends over to decorate cookies and play.  Even after I moved away to college and then to the big city, she would send me a St. Nicholas day token each year in the mail.  My mom still honors this day—I'll see her Sunday and I'll bet she has a little something for each of us in honor of the saint.

Fast forward twenty years.  I somehow lost the holy Bishop of Myra in the holiday shuffle.  My kids had no idea of this real-life saint until I started talking about him a few days ago.  I grew up Catholic and was surrounded by saints and my interest in them has been re-ignited recently as I have been so intrigued by my lovely Orthodox friend and all of her family's beautiful traditions.  So, the kids woke up this morning to trinkets and chocolate coins in their shoes and we're having a small gathering honoring the saint tonight.  May his acts of love, kindness and generosity live on in all of us!

Tokens in the form of Power Ranger and Hello Kitty Christmas ornaments,
along with a few gold coins.  I'm doing the best I can.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! What's on your mind?